Take a little time to know what’s going on your skin and your whole body will thank you (our skin is our largest organ)! Follow these guidelines for an easy and quick bathroom tidy! By getting rid of what’s unhealthy, funky, old or expired.
Our bathrooms are essential to our wellness but we have to do a routine Toiletry Toss to be sure we are taking the best care of ourselves.
Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world. -George Bernard Shaw
Estimated organizing time: 30-45 min’s.
- Toss the toiletries. Open the medicine cabinets, closets or any cabinets you store your bathroom products and toss expired and funky unhealthy stuff. Follow these guidelines to know what to toss and why.
- Make-up-I really like this guide by Bobbi Brown, if your on Pinterest…Pin it and refer back as needed!
- Sunscreen and lotions with sunscreen-one -two years
- Perfume and essential oils-three years (store in cool dark places-not the bathroom!).
- Look for expiration dates (usually printed on the crimped ends of tubes). Better yet, mark it yourself with a permanent marker with the date of your purchase.
- Download the Think Dirty app to find cosmetics and toiletries that are carcinogenic. I guarantee you will be shocked!
- Medication Mindfulness. Toss old medications but don’t flush them down the drain. This pollutes our waterways and bodies. Use safe disposal options such as returning to pharmacists (some will take them back) or dispose of them. Place medication in a small bag with coffee grounds, kitty litter or dirt so that critters and kids are less enticed. Remove any personal info before recycling or disposal.
- Clean off the crud. While everything is moved out and off the counters give them a sanitizing wipe down. I prefer non-toxic natural products. Move things out from the walls and wipe items down including the back splash. Finish cleaning up with walls and switch plates, cabinets, drawers and handles.
- Group like items. Corral the contents of your cabinets by person and category like skin, hair, first aid, oral hygiene, makeup etc. Then, if you have enough space, designate shelves, drawers, cabinets or containers (use color coding and labels!) to each household member. Store things standing up if your drawers are deep enough. There are so many great container options to organize drawers and medicine cabinets. There are great options on any budget from boxes you can recycle to inexpensive plastic baskets to fully customized acrylic drawer inserts.
- Maintain-Put it away-Daily. Estimated Daily Maintenance time:Take 3-8- min’s to put things on your counters and floor away and give the counter a quick wipe. Do this every day (either in the am when you are done getting ready or before bed) you will always walk into your bathroom with a sense of wellness. Doesn’t your bathroom feel better now! Help your kids and your spouse do their own toiletry toss once you complete your own.
“The greatest wealth is health.” ~Virgil
Need more? Email me and I promise to help you through it. One way doesn’t work, for everyone. I offer virtual and in person organizing, more info here.