Expert Organizing Resources & Products
This is a listing NOT a recommendation by Creatively Organized Spaces
Consignment & Resale*
When you’re getting rid of items, it can be very difficult to accept there may be little to no value to what you no longer need. If your committed to resale rather than donating, beware of individual shop and account conditions/policies. What to look for, good recommendations, trustworthy donation policy (for items that don’t sell), clear conditions regarding terms and brands/items accepted. Check to be sure locations accept items and when/how to submit items for consideration. Develop a relationship with your local consignment shops and know what they are looking for. Most clothing must be in practically new/barely worn condition, on-trend, and in season. Some exceptions may be made for vintage and collectible brands (for clothing and furnishings/accessories). You can also consider selling items in swap groups or on your social media or online resale shops like eBay or Craigslist. For a detailed listing of clothing consignments in the Charleston area, please see this page.
- The Coleman Collection – Furniture & Household Accessories in Mount Pleasant
- Next to New Consignment Furniture – in Mount Pleasant
- Once Upon a Child – Kids, mostly clothing & some “gear” in West Ashley
- Tiny Tadpoles – Kids’ clothing, toys & gear on James Island
- Play it Again Sports
*Please note that during Covid-19, many retail, resale, and charitable organizations are not open to the public. Please check with your local businesses to determine when and how to donate and consign items safely.
Donation & Charitable Organizations*
There are so many great places to donate items you no longer need. I’ve compiled a list of my favorites (*) and some more general organizations that are readily available nationwide. I encourage you to reach out and find small organizations in your community that can have the greatest impact on your donations. I take old towels and sheets directly to animal shelters, books to libraries, and more. Get creative in who you donate to, and give to who matters to you! Please always check with the organization to ensure you donate what they need and can use.
- Teachers Supply Closet (office/teaching, art/craft supplies); also check with local teachers for specific needs.
- Animal Helpers ReTail & Pet Helpers (pet-related items only)
- Charleston Good-ReSharing Project
- Friends of the Library (books)
- Goodwill Industries
- Habitat for Humanity Household & building supplies
- Lowcountry Orphan Relief
- National Kidney Foundation
- Children’s Museum of the Lowcountry (email first to donate art/craft supplies, toys & games
Organizing the Kitchen, Pantry, Dining Room & Bath
Many of these products can cross over functionally and be used in various cabinets, closets, etc., for storage of everyday and not-so-everyday kitchen, dining, and bath products.
- Adjustable or other drawer organizers come in various sizes and materials; measure your space, and start the hunt.
- Use sturdy hangers for your linens, rather than them getting creased in drawers or shelves.
- Shelf Genie makes gorgeous and functional kitchen pull out’s and custom cabinetry options for existing or new construction.
- Silverguard – For your fine silver storage, they make more than just cloth; they make custom furniture inserts!
- Infinity Jars – These ultraviolet (Black) jars are the best for keeping spices, oils, and more fresh and out of harmful ultraviolet light.
- These sturdy shelf risers, or these.
- Padded China Storage
- Horizontal Spice Drawer organizer or Tiered Spice Organizer
- Under Sink, two-tier organizer or under-sink pull-out organizer
- Rev-A -Shelf makes a variety of great aftermarket cabinet accessories for pull-out solutions, available in many locations
- Deep lazy susan are great for small items that might fall off a standard lazy susan
Organizing & Productivity Books
I’ve read and recommend all the organizing and productivity books on this Amazon list, but some are very specific. I’ve included subcategories such as books for wanna-be organizers, new moms, people with ADD, or hoarding disorders. There are so many amazing organizing books to learn from, and I hope you find inspiration and motivation from all the organizers sharing their wisdom!
Organizing for Kids – More Coming Soon
Artkive-turn your kid’s memories into art books! $:)-Use the code creativespace to save $15 off your first order, and let me know if you want to learn more!
Sustainable Organizing Resources
I HATE Plastic, but I Love Organizing! What’s a girl to do? The very first rule is don’t go buy anything before you start! Second, try to use what you have, and finally, I try my best to find and use recycled, renewable, and nonplastic products when possible. So here are some gorgeous and functional options for you if you are trying to kick the plastic addiction (aren’t we all)! When there are non-plastic options, I’ve tried to share them above, like the shelf risers, under-sink organizers, etc. There are a lot of bamboo options too!
- Bamboo lazy susan
- Bamboo Drawer organizer
- Stacking Wire Baskets
- Classic Water Hyacinth Baskets come in a variety of shapes and colors (stains)
- Under Shelf wire baskets
- Metal Pegboards
Below are links for recycling textiles and other “challenging” items.
- *Best Buy for recycling electronics as well as E-waste reducing strategies here & resource guide for small businesses here.
- Earth911.org check for local and national recycling resources
- Habitat for Humanity for building and household goods
- H&M discounts for recycling clothing & textiles
- The Balance-Sustainable Business Solutions
- Charleston Good for local Charleston recycling and donation opportunities
- reGain a UK app that rewards you for recycling clothing (& hopefully expanding to the US soon!)
- Madewell denim recycling program, a partner of BlueJeansGoGreen
- Patagonia will turn its old products back into new ones!
Moving, Storage, and Helping Hands
Getchore.com– an app that allows you to hire helping hands for various simple tasks for $20/hr. (Currently only in Charleston, SC)
Stache Storage-Store your stuff in your friend’s extra room or vice versa (the new concept of air-b-n-b for storage!)
Stash Storage-Totally on-demand storage! They provide the containers and space; they pick up your stuff, stash it and bring it back when you need it!
Your Time Personal Assistants -Get the help you need running errands, managing your home, or administrative tasks on a one-time or ongoing basis.
Office Organizing & Paper Management
Regarding office organizing and paper management, there is a lot of ground to cover! Below I have included several links to blog posts that cover paper management systems, digital organizing, and more. I will add additional resources as I learn about them, but I realize this is not a comprehensive guide. But I hope you will consider it a great place to start!
- Mind Map tools-Using mind maps for a deep dive into a specific topic, project, or goal allow you to throw it out “on paper” and get the order of your ideas. Do you mind mapping?
- Everyone needs a little digital device maintenance; check out my Digital Device Clean-up post for guidance.
- Whether your filing system is digital or paper, my comprehensive guide to Creative Filing Systems may be just what you need to get your files in order.
- A roundup of some useful Apps with a focus on Personal and Business Productivity.
Artwork Management & Handling
- Artwork Archive Inventory management for artists and collectors. This link will take you to my affiliate page, where you can sign up for 20% off your first year.
- Cerf+ The Artist Safety Net
- Specialized Packing materials; https://airfloatsystems.com/
- Fine Art handling and Shipping for moving and storage; https://williamchuff.com/ & https://www.cratersandfreighters.com/
- Crating and moving for valuables, including oil paintings that can warp or have surface damage. Cadogan Tate & Gander and White
I’m constantly on the lookout for new and amazing products & resources, so check back often when you need great organizing resources & inspiration!. From the products and services recommended above, I am not an affiliate or getting commissions for any items unless otherwise noted like this $:)