Expert Organizing Resources & Products
- Elfa systems from the Container Store – they are easy to use, versatile, affordable and great quality. There are other similar systems from big box hardware stores and online websites, but these are my personal favorite. Elfa closet systems are great for bedrooms, kids closets (grow as your kids grow!), pantries, garages, office spaces and more! $:) If you need Elfa, I’m a certified designer and have a dedicated installer in the Charleston Tri-County area.
- I absolutely ADORE their over door organizing systems (see above). Solid and wire shelf options are available with loads of accessories.
- Over the Door “Shoe” organizers-I especially like the clear pockets so you can see whatever you store in each pocket!
- Shoe Boxes by Iris or TCS– There are many others that are easily available in various retail stores. I choose these two because they are well made, stack easily, are clear and look neat and tidy.
- Hangers-such a personal choice but here’s a link to a whole post I did on hanger types!
Shelf dividers are a great way to keep bags or stacks of clothing organized
If your looking for a custom closet that’s WOW, Inspired Closets are my Charleston favorite. They’ve got incredible options that you will love and amazing customer service.
When your getting rid of items, it can be very difficult to accept there may be little to no value to what you no longer need. If your committed to resale rather than donating, beware of individual shop and account condition/policies. What to look for, good recommendations, trustworthy donation policy (for items that don’t sell), clear conditions regarding terms and brands/items accepted. Check to be sure locations are accepting items and when/how to submit items for consideration. Develop a relationship with your local consignment shops and know what they are looking for. Most clothing must be in practically new/barely worn condition, on trend and in season. Some exceptions may be made for vintage and collectible brands (for clothing and furnishings/accessories). You can also consider selling items in swap groups or on your own social media or online resale shops like ebay or Craigslist.
- Consigning Women* – Womens Clothing in West Ashley & Mount Pleasant (separately owned)
- The Coleman Collection – Furniture & Household Accessories in Mount Pleasant
- Next to New Consignment Furniture – in Mount Pleasant
- Once Upon a Child – Kids, mostly clothing & some “gear” in West Ashley
- Tiny Tadpoles * – Kids clothing, toys & gear on James Island
- Plato’s Closet-Women’s & Youth clothing, in West Ashley
- Play it Again Sports
- Reinvented Resale* -omen’s Clothing in West Ashley, also accepts some vintage
- Uptown Cheapskate -omens & Youth Clothing in Mount Pleasant
- Worn* – Mens Clothing Consignment in West Ashley
Online Consignment for Clothing
There are so many great places to donate items you no longer need. I’ve compiled a list of my favorites (*) and some more general organizations that are readily available, nationwide. I encourage you to reach out and find small organiziations in your community that can have the greatest impact with your donations. I take old towels and sheets directly to animal shelters, books to libraries and more. Get creative in who you donate too, give to who matters to you! Please always check with the organization to be sure your donating what they need and can use.
- Teachers Supply Closet (office/teaching, art/craft supplies), also check with local teachers for specific needs
- Animal Helpers ReTail & Pet Helpers (pet related items only)
- Charleston Good-ReSharing Project
- Friends of the Library (books)
- Goodwill Industries
- Habitat for Humanity Household & building supplies
- Lowcountry Orphan Relief
- National Kidney Foundation
- Children’s Museum of the Lowcountry (email first to donate art/craft supplies, toys & games
Organizing for the Kitchen, Pantry, Dining Room & Bath
Many of these products can cross over functionally and be used in a variety of cabinets, closets etc for storage of everyday and not so every day kitchen, dining and bath products.
- Adjustable or other drawer organizers come in a variety of sizes and materials, measure your space and start the hunt.
- Use sturdy hangers for your linens, rather than them getting creased in drawers or shelves
- Shelf Genie makes gorgeous and functional kitchen pull out’s and custom cabinetry options for existing or new construction, tell my friend Shoshanna I sent you:)
- Silverguard – For your fine silver storage, they make more than just cloth, they make custom furniture inserts!
- Infinity Jars – These ultraviolet (Black) jars are the best for keeping spices, oils and more fresh and out of harmful ultraviolet light.
- These sturdy shelf risers, or these.
- Padded China Storage
- Horizontal Spice Drawer organizer or Tiered Spice Organizer
- Under Sink two tier organizer or under sink pull out organizer
- Rev-A -Shelf makes a variety of great after market cabinet accessories for pull out solutions, available in many locations
- Deep lazy susan these are great for small items that might fall off a standard lazy susan
Organizing & Productivity Books
I’ve read all the organizing and productivity books on this Amazon list and recommend them but some are very specific. I’ve included subcategories such as books for wanna be organizers, new mom’s, people with ADD or hoarding disorders. There are so many amazing organizing books to learn from and I hope you find inspiration and motivation from all the organizers out there sharing their wisdom!
Organizing for Kids – More Coming Soon
Artkive-turn your kids memories into art books! $:)-Use the code creativespace to save $15 off your first order and let me know if you want to learn more!
I HATE Plastic but I Love Organizing! What’s a girl to do? The very first rule is don’t go buy anything before you start! Second, try to use what you have and finally I try my best to find and use recycled, renewable and non plastic products when possible. So here are some gorgeous and functional options for you if you are trying to kick the plastic addiction (aren’t we all)! When there are non-plastic options, I’ve tried to share them above, like the shelf risers, under sink organizers etc. There are a lot of bamboo options too!
- Bamboo lazy susan
- Bamboo Drawer organizer
- Stacking Wire Baskets
- Classic Water Hyacinth Baskets come in a variety of shapes and colors (stains)
- Under Shelf wire baskets
- Metal Pegboards
Below are links to recycle textiles and other “challenging” items.
- Best Buy for recycling electronics
- Earth911.org check for local and national recycling resources
- Habitat for Humanity for building and household goods
- H&M discounts for recycling clothing & textiles
- The Balance-Sustainable Business Solutions
- Charleston Good for local Charleston recycling and donation opportunities
- reGain a UK app that rewards you for recycling clothing (& hopefully expanding to the US soon!)
- Madewell denim recycling program a partner of BlueJeansGoGreen
- Patagonia will turn their old products back into new one’s!
Moving, Storage and Helping Hands
Getchore.com-an app that allows you to hire helping hands for a variety of simple tasks for $20/hr. (Currently only in Charleston, SC)
Stache Storage-Store your stuff in your friends extra room or vice versa (the new concept of air-b-n-b for storage!)
Stash Storage-Totally on demand storage! They provide the containers and space, they pick up your stuff, stash it and bring it back when you need it!
Your Time Personal Assistants -Get the help you need running errands, managing your home or with administrative tasks on a one time or ongoing basis.
Office Organizing & Paper Management – Coming Soon
I’m constantly on the lookout for new and amazing products & resources, so check back often when you need great organizing resources & inspiration!. From the products and services recommended above, I am not an affiliate or getting commissions for any items unless otherwise noted like this $:)