Each of these holiday organizing tips will help get you through the season with a bit more sanity & JOY!
- After receiving new holiday gifts, donate used items you no longer need to charity (One in One out Rule).
- Ditch the photo holiday cards…generally, they end up in the trash (recycled, hopefully), especially since people can see you more frequently via social media. How about a digital holiday card? I compromised and began sending recycled content postcards a few years ago.
- As you pull holiday items out, please consider donating old ornaments and out-of-date decorations. Many thrift shops set up great holiday display areas! Consider picking up new/vintage items from thrift locations also.
- Begin memento boxes for your kid’s holiday traditions, and keep these separate so they can be given to your older kids when they leave home.
- Clean out your attic, garage, or basement space before you return your holiday decoration bins (vacuum, wipe down shelves if needed, etc.).
- Have a Grab-A-Gift bag or bin with an assortment of “anyone” appropriate gifts (for last min hostess or holiday gift exchange items).
- Clean out your spices as your cook and bake. Toss the old and make note of anything needed (put the date of purchase on the bottom).
- Spruce up your kitchen whenever you have 10-30 mins. by tackling small areas or appliances (fridge, stove, toaster, sink, etc.) a little at a time. You’ll feel healthier & I bet you’ll eat healthier! See this kitchen organizing post.
- Get your gift & wrap organized. Use a gift tracking list & invest or DIY a great wrapping station—see Pinterest for ideas
How to take care of yourself with purpose this season.
- Don’t overbook your holiday calendar. If you’ve been invited to a million parties and events, occasionally, say no to a few and leave yourself some evenings at home, either alone or with your family and relax!
- Schedule a date with your honey or yourself for a little holiday pampering. Dinner and a movie, a bubble bath and champagne, your pick, but keep it easy and fun.
- Plan for the next year! Get a planner or calendar to map out large events such as vacation and business travel, important family occasions, and setting personal and professional goals for at least the first 1-2 quarters of the year.
- Create a vision board to see what you want to create…it’s a beautiful thing! Learn more about my upcoming 2023 IN-Person workshop in Charleston (it’s been years, I’m excited!)
- Pick a Word of the Year-AKA-#WOTY
- Take a thorough home inventory this year-don’t wait for a disaster! Subscribe to my mailing list or “like” my Facebook or Instagram for more frequent tips and inspiration!
- Keep your body moving, dance, hit the gym, take a walk…whatever your thing is, this is a great way to get out of your head and feel your way through the season.
Finally and most importantly, take time to Celebrate what is truly Sacred to you.
Is that a tradition, time with family, or a treat that you honor yourself with?
Whatever it is, this is the season to celebrate the sacred!