Our kitchens are becoming increasingly multi-functional so it makes sense to have some kid-friendly kitchen organizing system to manage multiple schedules and all of our busy lifestyles.
10 kid-friendly organizing tips to keep your kids and kitchen happy and healthy!
1. A Household Command Center might include the following items:
- A weekly or monthly calendar
- Menu’s, shopping lists
- Meal planning tools
- Coupons (these can also be kept in the car)
- A drawer or cabinet with a few basic office supplies (scissors, tape, envelopes, stamps, pens & pencils)
- A contacts list or
- A “household management binder”, see my post here on what to include
- An area to keep keys (hooks or a tray)
- A white/blackboard or note pad jot down notes or ideas
2. Create a “perpetual” calendar and utilizing insides of cabinets or a Household Binder, especially if you do not have space or want to create a full command center. Include menu’s, shopping lists and household management info.
3. Use over the door accessory organizers. Here they are put to use holding snacks.
4. Use low drawers, shelves and baskets for kid-friendly foods and lunch-meal making supplies. This will make it easier for your kids to help out in the kitchen with small tasks like putting things away. It also makes lower cabinets safe for kids to access for play and snacktime.
5. Label it! This includes shelves, drawers and containers so that everyone knows where things go. Picture labels can be a great solution for smaller children.
Smart companies are starting to market to this need with low drawer refrigerators and “Kid-Zone” cabinet options!6. Keep cleaning products up high, especially if you have very little kids and keep only kid-safe items like clean rags, extra paper products, a stool, drying rack etc. under the sink (use kid proof cabinet locks too).
7. Portion out snacks into small containers that are stored in a basket or bin in a kid accessible area so they can help themselves.
9. Keep an island or open counter space where you can have your kids participate will surely keep them more interested in cooking and eating healthy.10. Incorporating kids artwork using chalkboard paint or another display area makes your kids feel they are a part of the household activities that probably center around the kitchen.