Your kids are done with school and excited to put the books aside for the summer! In all their enthusiasm to begin their summer adventures there’s a strong possibility their school stuff could just become another mess in their packrat of a room (no way, your kid’s not like that I’m sure!)… Before you let them run off to camp, sleep over’s, or head off on vacation….help them focus just long enough for the End of School Year Pitch!
Do not leave those notebooks, textbooks and book bags languishing in the closet, play room, kitchen or their bedrooms…if you do, you never know what you might find growing by the end of summer! In your kids enthusiasm to have the school year behind them, they will probably be eager to pitch and recycle most of what they brought home at the end of the year!
This should take no more than 30 min’s for most grade and high school kids and I recommend doing it within the first week of school ending. Have them gather their book bag/backpack, any supplies and textbooks in their room or anywhere else they study. Put them all in a pile, on the floor, their bed (lots of kids like to work on their bed-it’s comforting) or a table/desk.
End of School year pitch!
- Remove the contents of bags and backpacks,
- Return lunch bags, water bottles etc to the kitchen to be cleaned and stored.
- Go through notebooks and remove anything that you or your kids want to keep (for sentimental reasons or other), add these to a sentimental box (each child should have their own, separate from the parents).
- Recycle papers, notes and notebooks no longer needed,
- Gather books to return to the school, hand down to younger kids or donate to a library.
- Save supplies that can be re-used in one area and before you shop for back to school, check here first!
I’ve created shelves, cabinets, closets and basket systems, all work great depending on your space and needs. Just be sure it’s easy for you and your kids to get to. If they are older, they may want to keep some of their favorite supplies in their room, otherwise they can all go in one place.
Now that this task is done, it’s easy to get on with the fun of Summer! Plus, you won’t have to wonder what’s lurking in the bookbag before school is back!